Turner Park Library - JAWS Accessible Computer
The JAWS computer at the Turner Park Library is currently out of order. Estimated time of disruption is unknown. Thank you for your patience.
Central Library - Drop Return Out of Order
The automated return slot is out of order from June 2-8 due to maintenance. Please return your library materials to the 1st Floor or Jackson Square Lobby dropboxes or the York Boulevard exterior drop. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Turner Park Library JAWS Accessible Computer - Printing Unavailable
JAWS Accessible Computer at the Turner Park Branch is temporarily unable to print.
The estimated time of disruption is unknown.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Stoney Creek Branch - Delayed Opening
Due to Staff training, the Stoney Creek Branch will have a delayed opening of 10am on Friday, June 9. You may visit the Saltfleet Branch as the next nearest location for your library needs.
LH&A Collections Policy
The Local History & Archives collection exists to:
- collect and preserve materials which illustrate the growth and development of Hamilton-Wentworth, both before and after incorporation, or which pertain in whole or in part to activities within the geographic boundaries of Hamilton-Wentworth;
- arrange and describe these materials according to archival principles and make them accessible to the general public on a regular basis, unless access is restricted by legal requirements or written agreement with the donor;
- provide adequate and appropriate conditions for the storage, protection and preservation of archival material;
- provide regular reference services to individuals, organizations, the municipal government, or other groups interested in the activities and holdings of the Archives;
- provide educational and outreach programming whenever possible to increase public awareness of Hamilton-Wentworth's history and development.
Material acquired by Local History & Archives shall become the permanent property of the Archives and, therefore, the Hamilton Public Library, until such time as the Archivist deems it not longer relevant to the Archives, in which case the material may be deaccessioned. Deaccessioning will not take place without the written approval of the department head responsible for the Archives. All information pertaining to the deaccessioning and disposition of material will be retained in the Archives' records.
The Archives retains the right to reproduce materials by mechanical, electronic, or photographic means for security, conservation, or research purposes.
The Archives will accept historical material of any medium, including: textual records; photographs and other visual records; maps, plans and architectural records; and sound recordings and oral history tapes. The Archives will only accept books, printed materials, artifacts and electronically stored data at the discretion of the Department Head or Archivist.
The Archives retains the right to charge for any reproduction or other research service. A schedule of fees will be made available to the general public on a regular basis.
The Archives will only accept material on a permanent basis, except when borrowing material for short-term loans to reproduce or to include in displays or exhibits.
Materials from the Archives may be loaned to other institutions or organizations only under the following circumstances:
- written authorization is obtained from the Manager, Local History & Archives (or designate)
- the borrower ensures adequate care and handling of the material on loan. If at any time the Archives determines that the material on loan is not being cared for adequately, the Manager or Archivist may cancel the loan and request the immediate return of the material.
No person shall be prevented from using archival materials unless is it determined that the materials will be physically abused or used in a libelous or illegal manner.
Manager, Local History & Archives
Hamilton Public Library
55 York Blvd.
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada