What is the Extended Access Pilot Program?
The Extended Access pilot project will add new service hours and increase community access to library services and collections at the Freelton Branch starting in the Fall 2017. This pilot is unique to the Freelton community and is intended to significantly improve access to an important community resource.
When will the pilot begin?
The pilot will roll-out in the fall in two phases. The first phase began October 11, 2017 with customers being able to pre-register for the service by completing a customer service Terms and Condition form and taking it to their local branch. Phase two, the launch of the extended access service, started on October 26, 2017.
At the end of the pilot program, we will conduct a review to measure its success and discuss next steps. We welcome your feedback. Please talk to Freelton Branch library staff, or submit your feedback online, through the contact us form.
How do I complete the Extended Access Terms and Conditions Form?
Pick up a form at your local library branch, or download, print and fill out the form. Once you have completed the form, visit any HPL location near you to finalize the registration process with library staff.
Who can register for the Extended Access pilot?
Extended access is available for Hamilton Public Library members who meet the following requirements:
- Holds a valid resident Hamilton Public Library card.
- Presents valid photo ID (e.g. Ontario ID, Driver's License, Student ID, etc.).
- Is 14 years of age and older. Children under 14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times and the parent or guardian will be considered the main user.
- Completes the Extended Access Terms and Conditions Form
- Upholds the Customer & Service Agreement.
What services will be offered?
The pilot will allow pre-registered customers to access the collection, spaces, computers and wifi at Freelton Branch beyond the library’s regular staffed hours,
How will Extended Access hours impact staffing levels?
The hours of service that library staff are currently providing will not change. The Freelton Branch will be staffed 24 hours per week, with new Friday hours. This is an increase from the current 17 hours per week. For extended hours, HPL staff at other branches will provide support via a video/phone link. Additional security cameras have also been added to monitor the branch.
What are the Extended Access Hours?
Once you register, you will have access to the Freelton Branch for 60 hours per week during the following times:
- Monday to Thursday: 9am-8pm
- Friday to Saturday: 9am-5pm
- Closed Sunday
For the full listing of staffed and Extended Access hours, visit the Freelton Branch page.
- Registering library cardholders ensures greater accountability and understanding of the mutual responsibilities in using the library during these extended hours.
- By registering for Extended Access, you agree to comply with Hamilton Public Library policies and procedures and accept responsibility for the space, equipment, and furniture in the branch during your access time.